Reading your meter
Find out here how to easily track you water usage by regularly reading your meter, and why it is important to keep your meter clear and accessible for our meter readers!
If you have received a higher than usual water use bill, and haven’t been able to determine the cause for the increase in water use with our high water use checklist, we suggest you monitor your usage by reading your meter and identifying what appliances or activities use the most water.
Read the black numbers from left to right. The black numbers represent kilolitres (1000 litres) and the red numbers represent litres. We charge per kilolitre.
- Read your meter at approximately the same time each day (Note both the black and red numbers).
- Calculate your water use by deducting the previous meter reading from the current reading.
- Compare your daily water use and note water use activities.
You can keep track of your readings and usage using a water monitoring card, or an irrigation test card for your sprinklers.
Keeping your meter clear and accessible
It is important that your meter is unobstructed and easily and safely accessible by our meter readers. You can make this easy for us by:
- Cutting back any bushes and tree limbs which are in the way
- Clearing sand and mulch
- If you have a dog, display a sign to let our meter readers know.
Your water meter should be clear 30cm around every side, and have at least 120cm of open air above.
Remember we not only need to be able to easily get to your meter to read the meter, we also need to be able to access your meter for repairs and maintenance.
If our meter reader isn’t able to access your meter, we will leave a card asking you to call us and make other arrangements to obtain your meter reading.