Congratulations on embarking on one of life’s most exciting adventures! While you’re choosing what makes your house a home, think about how to make your home waterwise.

Our top tip is to talk to your architect or builder early about the kinds of waterwise features you are considering. This might be:

  • Using water efficient appliances
  • Installing a garden bore
  • Making space for a rainwater tank, or even have it plumbed into your house to flush toilets or wash clothes
  • Installing a greywater system

Vacant land service charges

It’s important to know that even while your new home is being built, water bills will be issued. These bills include the water that is used onsite during the building process.

When your build is completed, please contact us so we can update the property details from ‘vacant land’ to ‘residential’ and update your postal address.

Your meter

It is important that you ensure that there is adequate access to water meters on your property, to prevent you from having to make modifications down the track. We require access to read, repair and replace your meter.

While most reputable builders should be aware, if you have engaged a builder or contractor to undertake work you will need to ensure the following requirements are met, because any re-instatement or costs associated with gaining access to meters is the responsibility of the landowner.

  • Ensure a clearance of 300mm around the meter and 1200mm above the meter, including from boundary fences, driveways and walls.
  • If the ground level of the property is altered and this impacts access to the meter, please advise Water Corporation. The landowner will be responsible for costs associated with raising/lowering the water meter or box to the appropriate level.
  • If you have a meter box, please regularly remove build-up of soil inside the box and ensure the meter is clear of dangerous insects and spiders to the extent that is practical.

Find out more about relocating or disconnecting your meter.

Requesting a new meter

For vacant land or an existing house

You can apply for a new water meter/service connection in BuilderNet by selecting ‘Lodge a water service application’. Find out more about applying for water Water supply services meters and the related fees and charges.

For a new house or building

If you need a meter for a new house or building, you need to submit a building application for our approval first. You can do this in BuilderNet by submitting a ‘Single residence and service connection application’. Find out more about lodging building applications and the related fees and charges

Frequently asked questions

An easement is a notification on your title deed outlining where restrictions may apply. It may affect the approval of your proposed building depending on the structure type.

Under the Water Services Act 2012, we manage and control building activity in proximity to its assets, regardless of the existence of an easement. The creation of notifications on titles is a relatively new process. Therefore, some sewers located within properties do not currently have easements.

The easement serves as a notification to prospective purchasers of the existence of the sewer. As subdivision leads to the construction of new buildings it is important that purchasers are aware of any encumbrances or restrictions that may be placed on their building.

An advice sent to the owner stating that the Corporation has not received a building application/plan for the proposed or completed development.

The costs and yields from a rainwater tank can vary significantly in Perth.

Our weather patterns can result in tanks being full at some times of the year and empty at other times, such as in summer and other periods of low rainfall. We support customers who choose to install a rainwater tank but don't believe that this cost should be introduced to all new homeowners.

New houses are generally quite water efficient as building codes require the use of water efficient appliances, lot sizes are relatively small and waterwise planting and hardscaping are often used to reduce water use. For this reason, large scale installation of rainwater tanks remains an option for the future.

Depends on the type of subdivision - Strata or Green Title and Vacant Strata or Built Strata. You need to apply through the WA Planning Commission (WAPC). Please contact our Development Services Business Unit on 9420 2099 for further information.

Find out more about subdividing.