Having difficulty paying your water charges?

We understand it’s sometimes difficult to pay bills on time. That’s why we have a range of flexible payment assistance options that can be tailored to meet your needs. By working together, we can find a solution.

Finding it difficult to ask for help?

Our Customer Service Representatives are trained to be sensitive and supportive. You can trust that our team will always handle your enquiry in confidence and with fairness and compassion.

Having difficulty paying?

We look at every situation on a case-by-case basis and will treat you with respect and sensitivity.

You have the right to:

  • Receive information and advice regarding our various payment options and methods available.
  • Choose from various alternative payment plans in accordance with your circumstances and capacity to pay.
  • Receive written confirmation of the agreed arrangement.
  • Be shielded from recovery action and associated recovery costs when you agree to and maintain a sustainable payment plan. You may also be eligible for a reduced interest rate.
  • Receive information on our Financial Hardship Policy and Water Assist scheme.
  • Be referred to a free financial counselling service to receive independent advice. During this time recovery action will cease pending the establishment of an agreed payment plan.
  • Receive information on Government funded concessions and the Hardship Utility Grant Scheme.
  • Renegotiate the amount of your instalments if there is a change in your circumstances.
  • Be advised in writing that recovery action will continue if you have failed to honour your payment plan.
  • Receive water efficiency information that may assist you in managing/reducing future water use.
  • Nominate to have your account redirected to a third party or an alternative postal address at no charge.
  • Be provided with free access to a translating and interpreter service.

What you need to do

  • Contact us as soon as you begin to experience financial difficulty.
  • Agree and maintain a suitable payment plan.
  • Keep us informed of any change in your circumstances.
  • Contact us to request an alternative arrangement if you are having difficulties maintaining the agreed payment plan.
  • Contact a financial counsellor or relevant consumer representative organisation if requested. This is a free service where you will be able to discuss your situation in confidence.

Are you registered for a concession?

If you have a Pensioner Concession, State Concession, WA Senior or both a WA Senior and Commonwealth Senior Health Card, you may be eligible for rebates or concessions on your water bill.

Please visit watercorporation.com.au/concessions or call us on 1300 659 951 to register.

Are you a business customer?

We understand that business customers sometimes experience cash flow problems. If you are in this situation please contact us as soon as possible.

You can request a deferment of payment for a short period of time. We can also provide you with a payment plan based on reasonable terms and conditions.

Are you a tenant?

If you are a tenant experiencing financial difficulty, you should contact us as soon as possible to discuss your options and individual situation.

We will negotiate a proposed payment plan with you and notify the land owner on your behalf, as their consent is require for the plan to proceed. A reduced interest rate may apply. We can also provide you with assistance and information on ways to manage future water use.

Is your property tenanted?

As a service to landlords we will issue accounts to either the agent or the tenant on request. By authorising us to do this, we will discuss matters in relation to the water use bills with the tenant. If your tenant contacts us to request a payment plan, we will inform you of the proposed plan. However, this does not affect your liability for charges. Where the account is sent to anyone else other than you and remains unpaid after the due date, recovery action will commence. If you are having payment difficulties, please contact as soon as possible to discuss a suitable payment plan.

What is financial hardship?

Financial hardship describes the difficulty faced by individuals or families who struggle to meet their normal living expenses including food, mortgage, electricity, etc. If paying your water charges will affect your ability to meet basic living expenses you may be deemed to be in financial hardship.

For some customers this may be a temporary situation due to:

  • an unexpected emergency
  • a temporary reduction in income
  • a sudden change in living circumstances.

For others, it may be longer term. This can apply to people with low or fixed incomes who may require ongoing assistance.

You can view a copy of our Financial Hardship Policy at watercorporation.com.au/financialassistance

If you are experiencing financial hardship

Contact us as soon as possible to discuss your situation. We can offer you a payment plan free of interest over an extended period of time if you agree and maintain the arrangement.

Been making payments and still can’t get ahead?

Water Assist Scheme

Water Assist is our financial assistance scheme which aims to provide our customers in utility financial hardship with an incentive to make regular payments to overdue accounts.

If you are eligible we will refer you to a financial counsellor who will assess your situation and complete the Water Assist application. Please contact us to discuss Water Assist.

Hardship Utility Grant Scheme (HUGS)

This is a State Government scheme that provides assistance to people in financial hardship unable to pay their utility accounts. If you have the intention but not the financial capacity to pay your account, without affecting your ability to meet individual or family basic living needs, you are considered to be in utility financial hardship.

To apply, please contact us so we can talk through your situation with you.

We’d like to hear from you

We encourage feedback. It’s our way of ensuring the services we offer customers experiencing financial difficulties are fair and supportive. If you would like to give feedback or need more information please contact us.

Contact information

Account Enquiries, or to arrange and interpreter – 13 13 85 (8am – 5pm weekdays)

National Relay Service – 13 36 77