Mains water flooding

The Water Corporation is always sorry when our customers are affected by our operations. We understand the impact and distress this can cause and we have a role to play in dealing with it along with other parties.

This sheet will provide you with information about:

Contact us

If you have mains water overflowing anywhere on or near your property or any damage is being caused call 13 13 75 immediately. This line is attended 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For general information or assistance call 13 13 85, 8am - 5pm weekdays or visit

The Water Corporation's response to a water main failure that may result in flooding of a property

In the event of a water main failure, we will isolate and repair the main as soon as it is possible to do so safely and considering the potential impact on our customers.

We take great care to leave your property, gardens and lawns as they were after we have finished any work. However, this may not apply:

  • where the work carried out is the result of the property owner or another party causing an obstruction or damage to our services
  • if restoration means that clearance to work or Occupational Health and Safety requirements will be breached.

If the main failure leads to flooding of your property we will assist, along with other parties, to prevent further water entering the property and remove flood water from your premises.

  • We will do our best to minimise the damage and inconvenience to you.
  • We will assist and offer advice for the initial clean-up of your premises, and also reimburse your insurance excess, providing the flooding is not as a result of issues outside our control such as:
    • a defect on your own internal property plumbing
    • a result of your own actions
    • general surface flooding.

The extent of our financial liability is limited to where the flooding is caused by negligence on our part. The Water Corporation will always encourage a customer whose property has incurred loss or damage as a result of flooding to approach their own insurers in the first instance.

What to do to claim on your insurance

We recommend that you contact your insurance company as soon as possible, as they will be able to advise you on the best process to follow to recover any loss or damage. The Water Corporation will refund any insurance excess amounts and we will also consider any uninsured losses.

  • Your own insurance company will not normally need to establish liability before proceeding with your claim. We would have to establish liability which may be a lengthy process, particularly if a third party is involved.
  • Most insurance companies will normally replace or settle on a new for old basis. We will work with you to obtain reasonable recompense for the damage caused.
  • If your insurance company is confident that we are liable, they may choose to counter claim us at a later date.

What to do if you do not have property insurance

We would always recommend a customer has the appropriate insurance for any eventuality. While we empathise with your situation, the responsibility does not default to the Water Corporation.

If you do not have insurance cover, we will work with you to obtain reasonable recompense for the damage caused and consider any other uninsured losses.

However, we will provide an initial clean-up of the area and assist you as best we can.

What to do if your home is uninhabitable

We will, on occasions of severe internal mains water flooding, support a customer in finding temporary accommodation for the initial night, although in most instances your own insurance company should arrange this. It should be noted there is no legal obligation for the Water Corporation to provide this service, but in such cases we would not wish to see a customer and their family without habitable accommodation.


If you would like to lodge a complaint we encourage you to contact us directly in the first instance to enable a quick and effective resolution free of charge.

Alternatively, the Energy and Water Ombudsman Western Australia is an independent, free service available to all customers and can investigate and resolve disputes between customers and Water Corporation. In handling complaints, the Energy and Water Ombudsman considers what is fair and reasonable in the circumstances, taking into account good industry practice and relevant law.

You can contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman by: