Wastewater flooding

The Water Corporation is always sorry when our customers are affected by our operations. We understand the impact and distress this can cause and we have a role to play in dealing with it along with other parties.

Here you'll find information on:

Contact us

If you have wastewater overflowing anywhere on or near your property or any damage is being caused call 13 13 75 immediately. This line is attended 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
For general information or assistance call 13 13 85, 8am - 5pm weekdays or visit watercorporation.com.au/contact

The Water Corporation's response to a failure in our system that may result in wastewater flooding of a property

In the event of internal flooding from our sewers, we will do all we can to reduce the impact on you. We understand the impact and distress wastewater flooding can cause and we have a role to play in dealing with flooding along with other parties.

When internal flooding occurs we will:

  • Attend the flooding and clear any blockages within our pipes.
  • Clean up the affected area.
  • We will conduct an initial clean-up of your premises, and also reimburse your insurance excess, providing the flooding is not as a result of issues outside of our control such as:
    • a defect on your own property wastewater plumbing
    • a result of your own actions
    • general surface flooding.
  • In the event of severe internal flooding we may relocate you temporarily if required.
  • Carry out on site investigations to identify likely causes.
  • Keep you updated on findings during these on site investigations.

The extent of our financial liability is limited to where the overflow is caused by negligence on our part. We will always encourage a customer whose property has incurred loss or damage as a result of wastewater flooding to approach their own insurers in the first instance.

What to do to claim on your insurance

We recommend that you contact your insurance company as soon as possible, as they will be able to advise you on the best process to follow to recover any loss or damage. We will refund any insurance excess amounts and we will also consider any uninsured losses.

  • Your own insurance company will not normally need to establish liability before proceeding with your claim. We would have to establish liability which may be a lengthy process, particularly if a third party is involved.
  • Most insurance companies will normally replace or settle on a new for old basis. We will work with you to obtain reasonable recompense for the damage caused.
  • If your insurance company is confident that we are liable, they may choose to counter claim us at a later date.

What to do if you do not have household insurance

We would always recommend a customer has the appropriate insurance for any eventuality. While we empathise with your situation, the responsibility does not default to the Water Corporation.

If you do not have insurance cover, we will work with you to obtain reasonable recompense for the damage caused and consider any other uninsured losses.

However, we will provide an initial clean-up of the area and assist you as best we can.

What to do if your home is uninhabitable

We will, on occasions of severe internal wastewater flooding, support a customer in finding temporary accommodation for the initial night, although in most instances your own insurance company should arrange this. It should be noted there is no legal obligation for the Water Corporation to provide this service, but in such cases we would not wish to see a customer and their family without habitable accommodation.


If you would like to lodge a complaint we encourage you to contact the Water Corporation directly in the first instance to enable a quick and effective resolution free of charge.

Alternatively, the Energy and Water Ombudsman Western Australia is an independent, free service available to all customers and can investigate and resolve disputes between customers and Water Corporation. In handling complaints, the Energy and Water Ombudsman considers what is fair and reasonable in the circumstances, taking into account good industry practice and relevant law.

You can contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman by:

  • Calling (08) 9220 7588 or free call 1800 754 004.
  • Emailing your complaint to energyandwater@ombudsman.wa.gov.au
  • Completing the online complaint form at ombudsman.wa.gov.au/energyandwater/
  • Writing to PO Box Z5386 St Georges Terrace PERTH WA 6831