Here you will find information about minor building applications and how to submit them.
What is a minor application?
A minor application is required for any improvement or construction to a property which is not attached or located under the main roof and that requires a building license to be issued from the local authority.
When do we require a minor application to be submitted?
We require an application for the following types of structures:
- below-ground pool
- non-demountable above ground pool
- retaining wall greater than 1.2m high
- masonry structure (i.e. brick or stone) greater than 1.8m high
- shed greater than 42 square metres.
When don't we require a minor application?
We do not require an application for:
- a gazebo
- lightweight carport not under the main roof
- lightweight shed less than 42 square metres
- ornamental pond
- retaining wall less than 1.2m high
- shade sails
- single leaf garden wall and fences up to 1.8m high
- water feature less than 1.8m high.
What you need to do prior to submitting your application
- Obtain plans from Dial Before You Dig.
- Determine the location of the sewer main nearest to your proposed building.
- Determine the material type and depth of the sewer main nearest to your proposed building.
- Read the Residential guidelines for designers document.
- Self assess your design in conjunction with our requirements.
How to submit your application online
You can use our online self-service system BuilderNet to lodge your application.
- Login to BuilderNet and lodge a 'Minor plan application'.
- Attach an electronic copy of your site plans and any other documents relevant to your application, in PDF or JPG format.
- We will email your invoice, outlining the application fees. You will need to pay these fees before your application is approved.
How much do I need to pay?
The fee for a minor plan application is as follows:
| Minor plan fee
Your application may take up to 10 working days to be assessed and the appropriate fee will be determined by our Building Services section.
Note: Any application that involves an extension to the main roof, or is under the main roof is classified as an addition/alteration application.
An invoice will be generated and payment options will be provided on the back of your account.
Find out more about our building application fees
Submit your application now
You can contact us via the following options:
Post: Water Corporation, Building Services, PO Box 100 Leederville WA 6902
Phone: 13 13 95
Fax: (08) 9420 2585