Completing single residential building applications

We have put together this simple guide to help you submit your single residential building application.

What to do prior to submitting your application

  • Obtain plans from Dial Before You Dig.
  • Determine the location of the sewer main nearest to your proposed building.
  • Determine the material type and depth of the sewer main nearest to your proposed building.
  • Read the Residential guidelines for designers document.
  • Self assess your design in conjunction with our requirements.

What you need to submit with your application

You can use our online self-service system BuilderNet to lodge a 'Single residence and service connection application'.

For additions or extensions to an existing house, use BuilderNet to lodge an 'Addition/Alteration application'.

Attach an electronic copy of your site plan and floor plans and any other documents relevant to your application, in PDF or JPG format.

If you are not a regular BuilderNet user, you can use our Guest Account option to log in.

For external additions such as pools, patios or sheds, please refer to our information about lodging a minor application.

Submit your application now

How to complete your application

Purpose of application

Please include an exact description of what is being constructed or improved. This is usually found on your building licence/council approved plans.

Estimated construction cost

The amount shown on your building licence. This excludes GST and does not include the cost of the chattels inside the building, such as curtains and carpets etc.

Estimated start date

This is when construction of the building is expected to commence.

Estimated completion date

This is when construction of the building is due to be finished.

Local authority

The local authority is the shire to which the building plans have been submitted to.

Demolition of existing building

The demolition date can affect the annual charges for the property. If the existing building on the property has been, or will be demolished, we will change the rating of the property from 'residential' to 'vacant land' effective from the first month after the demolition date. An accurate demolition date must be provided for rating purposes.

Owner to occupy

 After the building is completed, will the owner be living in the premises? Please answer Yes or No.

Meter and service location details

Most services in new subdivisions are fully pre-laid (which means that the service has already been installed by the developer and has been left buried and inactive until such time as an application is submitted to Water Corporation for the meter to be installed). 

If a water service has been pre-laid, or a water meter exists on the property, this service must be utilised and requests for it's relocation will be at the builder's or applicant's cost.

If the water service is not pre-laid, the meter position should be supplied in the 'Meter location details' section of the application form.

NOTE: The location of the service is always determined as if you are standing in the street looking at the lot.

A measurement from either the left or right hand side boundary should always be included in your application. If the measurement is unclear, the building plans will be returned to you for further clarification.

If the property is on a cross street, please include the name of the cross street on the diagram

To find out if the service is pre-laid, or has been already installed, please contact us on or call 13 13 95.


For a new house, you will need a builder's standpipe.

If there is an existing water service with a standpipe, this can be used to supply water during construction. If the service does not have a standpipe, you will be required to have a standpipe installed by your plumber. 

Number of toilets

For a new house, please supply the number of toilets being installed.

For additions/alterations to an existing house, please supply how many toilets are:

  • already existing
  • being added
  • being removed.

More information

You can contact us via the following options:

Post: Water Corporation, Building Services, PO Box 100 Leederville WA 6902


Phone: 13 13 95

Fax: (08) 9420 2585

You may also be interested in

Lodge your application online

Login to BuilderNet
rolls of blueprints