How can you do this?
Why we acted
We’ve learnt that through good leadership and a set of achievable goals water savings can happen.
Mick Kennedy, Park Manager
We received a large water bill that wasn’t consistent with previous ones and this led us to investigate the sites water use in more detail, and the findings of our investigation was a catalyst for the introduction of regular monitoring of water use on a daily basis.
Assess your use
How we did it
The caravan park used 50,159 kilolitres in 2007–08 and almost halved this to 27,385 kilolitres in 2010–11.
We achieved water savings through:
- reading meters on a daily basis
- using a leak detection company to locate leaks
- using the water use benchmark guide to identify areas around the park to target for water efficiency management
- installation of water sub meters around the park to provide improved information about water use levels and helping with early detection of plumbing leaks
- replacement of plumbing fittings in showers with water efficient models
- replacing the existing pipes with new pipework.
See how Fremantle Village Caravan Park reduced its water use by over 44%:
Read a transcript of this video (opens in a new window)
What we are doing now
We have established a culture of sustainability amongst our staff and permanent residents. We will continue to educate staff, residents and travellers about the ways that water can be saved
Who to contact
If you would like more information on water efficiency in your business please email us.