General cleaning can account for up to 50% of your facility’s water use, depending on the industry. Ensuring your cleaning practices are water efficient is the efficient way to reduce this.
- Use a broom or mop to clean floors, instead of a hose (this will also reduce your discharge costs)
- Use mops and wet/dry vacuum cleaners to prior to necessary wash downs
- Sweep or use garden blowers on paved areas, instead of a hose
- Use signage to remind staff of water efficient cleaning methods
- Incorporate water efficient cleaning methods into work instructions
To gain support for water efficient behaviours be sure to outline the need and reasons for change, for example to reduce water and energy use, which will achieve financial and environmental benefits.
Search for more tips