Improved awareness of water efficient behaviours among staff and customers can lead to significant reductions in water use.
To gain support from staff and customers be sure to outline the need and reasons for change, for example to reduce water and energy use, which will help us achieve environmental and financial benefits.
Encourage water efficient behaviours
Provide simple instructions near water using equipment:
- How to report leaks and faults
- Take shorter showers
- Turn off taps when not in use
- Don’t flush rubbish down the toilet to save water and prevent blockages
Consider if instructions in other languages may be relevant for your staff and visitors.
Establish a water efficient culture
Here are a few ideas:
- Appoint a waterwise champion or team
- Promote your commitment to sustainability with signs, newsletters, posters and banners
- Train staff to operate water using appliances efficiently
- Hold competitions promoting water efficiency ideas
- Discuss water efficiency at meetings
- Incorporate water efficiency practices in induction materials
- Ask security staff to check meters during off peak times to help detect unusual water use
- Reward staff for showing leadership in water conservation
Search for more tips