If your business uses more than 20,000kL of scheme water a year, you are required to complete a Water Efficiency Management Plan (WEMP) to help you save water.
This program aims to improve water management for major commercial and industrial businesses.
Being part of this program is a great way to kick start fresh water thinking in your business. It involves developing a plan (WEMP) detailing your water saving actions and initiatives, and providing annual progress reports about your efforts.
Since its inception, the Waterwise Business Program has helped customers save over 83 billion litres of water. We are currently working with 316 customers to help them reduce water use through water recycling, better water management and use of technology.
The State Government introduced this program in 2007, as part of a range of mandatory water efficiency measures that apply to all sectors of the community. Under the Water Services Regulations 2013 all large WA business customers using more than 20,000kL of scheme water per year participate in the program.
Since its inception, the Waterwise Business Program has helped many of our customers find new ways to save money in water and sewerage charges while reducing their water use.
As part of the program you're required to:
- develop a Water Efficiency Management Plan (WEMP) detailing water saving targets, actions/initiatives
- provide annual progress reports on water saving targets, actions/initiatives.
These reports have been migrated to an online form, to streamline the process and provide a better customer experience. Each year we will contact you with a link to a personalised online form to submit your WEMP.
What to include in your WEMP:
- a profile and description of your business and the current site operations
- site water use table
- water saving opportunities (including benchmark indicators and targets)
- water saving action plan (including timeframes).
Once your WEMP is submitted and accepted, it will be valid for 5 years. However, if your business changes ownership or the water use increases significantly, a revised WEMP may need to be submitted. We will let you know if a revised WEMP is required.
All the information you provide to us will remain confidential.
Your business will benefit in a number of ways:
- gain a better understanding of how water is used in your business
- learn new ways to save water in your industry
- financial savings through improved efficiency, by avoiding unnecessary water and sewerage charges
- access to free training sessions and events to learn fresh ways to save water
- access to a free data logger
- learn how other businesses save water through case studies
- recognition as a leader in water use efficiency and conservation
- establishing and achieving targets to reduce scheme water use
- improve public perception of your business.
You will also receive exclusive invitations to attend training sessions and a waterwise business forum annually. At these sessions, industry specialists and other WEMP customers will share information on water saving tools, tips and technologies available.
This initiative acknowledges Waterwise Business customers that achieve high levels of water use efficiency.
Introduced in 2012, the scheme aims to provide customers with additional incentives to drive efficiencies within their business and enables them to promote water saving achievements to their customers and the wider community.
Find out more
If you have questions or need help completing your WEMP or annual report, refer to Your WEMP in 5 steps or contact the Program Team on email@example.com or (08) 9420 3551.