Starting up

Find out everything you need to know about our services if you are starting a new business, developing or building on your site or moving premises.

There are a number of important things to know about our water and wastewater services, and the charges that apply, if you are:

  • starting a new business
  • developing on your site or building/extending
  • moving premises.

If you are carrying out any extensions, renovations, or building new structures you need to submit your plans to us at the same time as applying for council approval.

We need to check your plans to ensure that:

  • our water, wastewater and drainage services are protected and can be easily accessed for maintenance and emergencies
  • the right water and sewer connections will be available to service the building or development.

Industrial or trade waste is any wastewater discharged from a business or industry, aside from that which comes from staff amenities or office facilities.

Any business that discharges trade waste to sewer needs to apply to us for a Trade Waste Approval and pay the relevant charges. This is because not all trade wastes are compatible with our wastewater system.

Find out more about trade waste

Standard infrastructure contributions (SICs) – also referred to as headworks contributions – are one-off fees for the provision of water and wastewater services.

SICs need to be paid during the building stage when applying for water, wastewater and drainage services. They are also payable if you are subdividing land or creating survey strata lots which require our services.

Find out more about infrastructure contributions

You may also be interested in

Find easy ways to cut water use

Top tips for business
water bubbling