What happens if I don't pay my bill?

If your account is not paid by the due date a ‘Reminder notice’ is sent to advise of the overdue charges. If you are a tenant then the reminder notice is sent directly to the property owner.

If the account remains unpaid and has passed its due date by 31 days, we will issue a ‘Notice of restriction of supply’. This requires immediate action and advises our intention to restrict the water supply at the property and charge associated costs.

It is always our preference not to restrict a customer’s water supply and we recommend you pay your account in full, or set up a suitable payment plan, as soon as possible to avoid any further recovery action. To arrange a payment plan, please contact us on 13 13 85.

We may restrict your water supply if your overdue account remains unpaid, or you do not comply with a payment plan or other arrangement you have set up to pay your charges, including arrears.

Where restriction is not possible or your account remains unpaid after your water supply has been restricted, we can take legal action through the courts to recover any outstanding charges. For more information see our Customer & service commitments.