HPI Alert #494
Date of Event: 20 March 2017
- CRAW did not identify transporting materials on site as high risk
- No SWMS for transporting materials on site
- Change of work method was not risk assessed
- No tag line used; injured person (IP) ended up close to the Telehandler.
- Laydown area distant from construction area
- Ground conditions were uneven
- IP decision not to use tag line for smaller load
- Telehandler operator did not remind IP to use a tag line
- All mobile plant movements, including transporting loads, are high risk activities and must be covered in the CRAW, SWMS or Standard Work Instruction as relevant
- High risk activities need to be captured in a SWMS and highlighted at daily pre-start
- A change management risk assessment must be performed when changing tasks or methodology. For high risk activities, the supervisor must sign off on the change.
Questions for Leaders
- How do we check that all contractor’s tasks aligned to our Safety Essentials have a Safe Work Method Statement (SWMS) developed which is properly authorised and reviewed daily?
- Is the transport of materials by mobile plant an activity which is occurring on any of our sites?
- If so, what is the process for making sure this risk is captured in our safe job planning documentation and relevant SWMS?