Each year around 51,000 litres of water could be collected from a 125m2 roof area and used to supply part of your household’s water needs.
The Water Corporation Rainwater Reward Program offers the following rewards:
- for a new rainwater tank (with a capacity of 2000L or more) that is plumbed in has a reward of up to $1000 or the cost of the tank and plumbing – whichever is the lesser amount;
- for an existing tank (with a capacity of 2000L or more) to be plumbed in has a reward of up to $500 or the cost of the plumbing work – whichever is the lesser amount. (e.g. if costs $200 to plumb in the tank, you will receive an equivalent amount);
- for a new rainwater tank (with a capacity of 2000L or more) to replace one that is already plumbed in has a reward of up to $500 or the cost of the rainwater tank – whichever is the lesser amount. (e.g. If tank costs $200, you will receive an equivalent amount).
The following are applied for the purpose of the reward program.
- Date of purchase: the date on which the rainwater tank was paid for. If the purchase was made in instalments, the date of purchase is the day on which the last instalment was paid.
- Scheme water: water supplied by the Water Corporation through its drinking water supply network.
- Plumbed in: a permanent connection, installed by a licensed plumber, between a rainwater tank to the internal plumbing for the house (E.g. toilet, laundry).
- Proof of purchase: for example, a receipt or tax invoice for the rainwater tank and/or plumbing services. The receipt or tax invoice must include the rainwater tank capacity in litres.
Application process for Rainwater Reward
To claim a reward the applicant must complete, sign and submit an application form along with a copy of the tax invoice for the purchase of the tank, the licensed plumber’s declaration, a copy of the tax invoice and receipt for plumbing work. Please DO NOT send original tax invoices and receipts, as we cannot guarantee they will be returned.
A licensed plumber is required to plumb in the rainwater tank and must complete Section 5 of the application form including:
- the size (capacity) of the rainwater tank;
- certifying that the rainwater tank meets all relevant standards and government requirements;
- certifying that the rainwater tank is plumbed in and fully operational.
Applicants are required to provide evidence to support claims made on the Application Form if requested. The Corporation will conduct audits of tanks to verify program compliance.
The applicant should allow four (4) weeks for the application to be processed. Applications that are incomplete may take longer than four (4) weeks to process.
Applicant and property eligibility for Rainwater Reward
To be eligible to obtain a reward:
the applicant must:
- be the owner of the property where the rainwater tank has been installed;
- be the purchaser of the rainwater tank and the payee of the plumbing expenses;
- submit the completed Application Form and a copy of the proof of purchase by 31 May 2019.
- the property where the rainwater tank has been installed will only be eligible for one (1) reward payment over the life of the program and must:
- be located in Albany or Mt Barker.
- be one of the following:
- residential property;
- non-residential property;
- corporate-owned property;
- charity-owned property;
- not-for-profit property (such as a sporting club); or
- government (Federal and State) owned property.
- be habitable or will be habitable upon the completion of the building;
- not have claimed a reward through this program before;
- be connected to Water Corporation’s scheme water supply.
- the rainwater tank must:
- be purchased and plumbed in on or after 1 October 2018; (new tanks)
- be plumbed in to the property by a licensed plumber on or after 1 October 2018; (existing tanks)
- meet relevant standards and government requirements, such as local building restrictions and regulations;
- be fully operational;
- have adequate mosquito controls; and
- have a minimum capacity of more than 2000 litres.
* The total value of rewards offered is limited and must be claimed over the period of 1 October 2018 to 31 May 2019. Rewards will cease on 31 May 2019 or when the program funds have been expended.
Final decisions regarding reward eligibility will be made by the Water Corporation.
Note: Please DO NOT send original tax invoices and receipts, as we cannot guarantee they will be returned.
We encourage you to download and read the Department of Health's Urban rainwater collection pamphlet before you have a tank installed.
For more information see the Australian Department of Health publication, Guidance on use of rainwater tanks available on their website.