We are currently replacing 1.1 kilometres of water supply main, between the corner of Webster/Sutherland streets and corner of Sutherland/Taplin streets. This work will improve the water supply and pressure delivered to customers in the town of Port Hedland.
To complete this work, some customers along Sutherland Street will experience a temporary water supply interruption of up to 5 and half hours, whilst we connect this replacement water supply main to the existing water supply service. This interruption to supply will occur from
8am to 1.30pm on Wednesday 12 July 2017.
Please plan ahead
We advise customers to plan for this period when water may be unavailable for up to 5 and a half hours.
Before the water supply interruption
Please turn off the main tap at your water meter. If you have an electric hot water system we recommend that you turn off its power supply – this is to protect your water-using appliances. Without your meter turned off, air may enter the water pipes, which can cause damage to these appliances.
Other handy tips:
- Fill kettles and store some drinking water in the fridge.
- Use showers or baths before the water supply is interrupted.
- Store some water in buckets or other large containers to flush the toilet.
During the interruption
- Toilet cisterns will need to be refilled from a bucket.
- Do not use automatic dishwashers or washing machines.
After the interruption
Once we have completed the work, turn the main tap at your water meter back on. Run your inside taps for a minute to remove any air that may be trapped in the pipes before turning your electric hot water system power supply back on. Make sure you collect any running water and use it to water your garden or pot plants.
This work may result in the water having a discoloured appearance. If this occurs, the water is still safe to drink. If you experience discoloured water you can:
- Run the outside garden tap at the front of your property for a few minutes, until the water clears
- Repeat the step above for an outside tap at rear of your property
- Call us on 13 13 75 if the water does not clear
- Do not use washing machines, dishwashers or other water-using appliances until the water is clear.
For any prolonged water supply issues please call our 24 hour Faults, Emergencies and Security line on 13 13 75.
If you have any special circumstances we need to be aware of before this essential work commences please contact the Community Engagement Officer,
Elecia Wheat on firstname.lastname@example.org or call (08) 9420 3265 during business hours.
We appreciate this work will cause some inconvenience to some customers in the area and we thank you in advance for your cooperation.