Navigate home logo

We have put together this simple guide to help you submit your single residential building application.

What to do prior to submitting your application

Our process for single residential, additions/alterations and minor building applications has been streamlined. For these types of applications, we recommend that you complete these steps prior to submitting your application:

  1. Obtain plans from Before You Dig Australia
  2. Determine the location of the sewer main
  3. Determine the material and the depth of the sewer main
  4. Refer to the Residential guidelines for designers document for the appropriate protection of sewer main information
  5. Self-assess your design in compliance with our requirements

How to lodge your application

Use our self-service system BuilderNet to lodge your building application. If you are not a regular BuilderNet user, you can use our Guest Account option to log in.

For a new house, you need to lodge a Single residence and service connection application.

For additions or extensions to an existing house, lodge an Addition/Alteration application.

You need to attach the following documents:

  • Architectural floor plan/s including measurements of the rooms.
  • A site plan showing the location of the proposed building on the property with measurements from the boundaries.

BuilderNet will require these items to be attached electronically with either PDF or JPG file types. Each file must be less than 10MB in size.

For external additions such as pools, patios or sheds, please refer to our information about lodging a minor application.

Lodge your application

How much do I need to pay?

Application fees are based on the development type. Once we have assessed your application, we will send you an invoice outlining the fees.

How to fill in your application

Purpose of application

Please include an exact description of what is being constructed or improved. This is usually found on your building licence/council approved plans.

Estimated start and completion dates

These are the dates that construction of the building is expected to commence and be completed.

Builders Job Number

This is a reference used by the builder/building company for their jobs. If unknown, enter N/A.

Local authority

The local authority that the property is located in - i.e. the city/town/shire council where the building plans have been submitted to.

Demolition of existing building

The demolition date can affect the annual charges for the property. If the existing building on the property has been, or will be demolished, we will change the rating of the property from 'residential' to 'vacant land' effective from the first month after the demolition date. An accurate demolition date must be provided for our rating purposes.

Owner to occupy

After the building is completed, will the owner be living in the premises? Please answer Yes or No.

Meter and service location details

Most services in new subdivisions are fully pre-laid (which means that the service has already been installed by the developer and has been left buried and inactive until such time as an application is submitted to us for the meter to be installed).

If a water service has been pre-laid, or a water meter exists on the property, this service must be utilised and requests for it's relocation will be at the applicant's cost.

If the water service is not pre-laid, the meter position should be supplied in the 'Meter location details' section of the application form.

NOTE: The location of the service is always determined as if you are standing in the street looking at the lot.

A measurement from either the left or right hand side boundary should always be included in your application. If the measurement is unclear, the building plans will be returned to you for further clarification.

If the property is on a cross street, please include the name of the cross street on the diagram

To find out if the service is pre-laid, or has been already installed, please complete our enquiry form.



For a new house, you will need a builder's standpipe.

If there is an existing water service with a standpipe, this can be used to supply water during construction. If the service does not have a standpipe, you will be required to have a standpipe installed by your plumber.

Number of toilets

For a new residential building, you will only need to advise on how many toilets are being installed.

For additions/alterations to an existing house, please advise how many toilets are:

  • already existing
  • being added
  • being removed

Other considerations

  • Our infrastructure (water and wastewater services) is adequate for the proposed building or development. In some circumstances it will be necessary to extend or enlarge the existing network and connections to the property.
  • Wherever possible all survey levels should be provided in Australian Height Datum (AHD) and it assists in ensuring the building can be adequately served by the sewer, and makes the design of piling easier. This is particularly important where the ground level has been altered.
  • Builders are responsible for establishing the location of sewer connection points prior to starting any work. In the event that the connection point cannot serve the proposed building or the connection point is not located in the correct position, the builder will be responsible for any additional works necessary. This is particularly important in the redevelopment of lots in older suburbs.
  • In some circumstances you may need to have the location of our pipe work confirmed by survey. If any proposed building is within 3 metres of a pipe, it is recommended that you seek advice from us or a surveyor prior to any detailed design.

More information

Please complete our enquiry form if you require further information.