Navigate home logo

Find out what you'll need if you're planning to subdivide, including a step-by-step guide to our process.

The first thing you need to do is to submit a subdivision application to the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) who will refer it to us for assessment. We will look at the water, wastewater and drainage services you will require once your subdivision is complete.

We will make recommendations and provide advice to WAPC on the land servicing requirements. WAPC will determine if these conditions are appropriate for subdivision and issue an 'Approval subject to conditions'.

Subdivision process

1. Application / assessment

  • The land owner submits an application (Form 1A) to the WAPC.
  • WAPC refers the application to us, the local authority and other servicing agencies to assess the application.
  • Within 42 days we'll assess the application and make recommendations to the WAPC on our servicing requirements.

2. Notification

  • WAPC will send conditional approval to you (or the land owner), the local authority and to us.
  • We send an invitation to the land owner to enter into an agreement (within 21 days of receipt of conditional approval).

3. Agreement

  • You return the completed request for agreement form to us.
  • We prepare an agreement (within 35 days of receipt of request) which details the requirements that need to be fulfilled. This may include details of our land servicing requirements, including fees and charges.

4. Clearance

  • You will need to address the requirements of the agreement. The agreement will come with a checklist for you to follow.
  • Once you have completed all the checklist items, please submit the checklist and associated documents via the application form.
  • We will confirm acceptance of these items and send you a tax invoice for payment.
  • Once payment is received, we will issue a clearance to you within 5 working days.
  • Clearance will not be granted until all items are accepted and payments made.

5. Final approval

  • You will need to submit all clearances to WAPC.
  • WAPC issues final approval.
  • You can then apply for land titles from Landgate.

Types of subdivisions

New to subdividing? In this section, we have information about strata and green title subdivisions and their land servicing requirements as well as information about the costs involved.

Need help?

Complete our landing planning advice form to get guidance on how to proceed with your land planning, subdivision and building development proposal.

Get land planning advice