The services required for survey strata subdivisions are determined by the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC).

Where water supply and sewer servicing conditions are imposed, we ensure access to our services is available at the boundary of the Strata Scheme land holding through the subdivision process. These services will be provided in accordance with our Water Services License requirements and servicing standards.

Servicing requirements at the boundary

Water supply

For water supply services, the Strata Scheme land holding requires access to a water reticulation main. Our water reticulation mains are all located in road reserves.

A Strata Scheme is deemed to have service availability where a land holding has frontage to a water reticulation main capable of servicing the strata. Please refer to the following diagram.

Image - Strata servicing requirements

Sewer services

For all sewer services, a connection point or junction is required to serve the strata scheme land holding. The following diagram illustrates this:

Image - Strata servicing requirements

You can find out more information about junction and property connection requirements in our Plumbing Handbook.

Where additions, modifications or protection to Water Corporation owned and operated assets are required, the following measures may apply including:

  • Delivery of water and or sewer main extensions (where the property is currently unserved)
  • Payment for future water supply services*
  • Payment for new sewer services and/or junction(s)
  • The provision of easements in favour of Water Corporation.

*These services are installed when a building application is received for the parcel of land, which is generally after the subdivision is completed. To cover the cost of installing these meters we collect the future water service charges at subdivision stage.

Servicing arrangements within a strata scheme

Developers are responsible for ensuring all lots proposed under a strata scheme have adequate access to our water services and that any existing plumbing is adequately protected or relocated to suit the development.

To avoid the need for strata neighbours to intrude on each other where lots are to be sold as vacant strata lots, it is recommended that steps are taken to ensure each strata lot has access to all water services. This can be achieved by:

  • Installing dormant water and sewer lines. These are sections of internal plumbing laid in the ground for future connection of a building to the water or sewer mains.
  • Ensuring that our servicing points are accessible via common property or creation of a suitable service corridor as an easement or by strata by-law.

Image - Strata servicing requirements

Image - Strata servicing requirements