Navigate home logo

Medical Assist is available for customers who qualify for the Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS). If you're on home dialysis, you may also qualify.

Through Medical Assist, we offer up to a 30kL water allowance per household on every bill.

How it works for home dialysis customers

You don't need to apply. We receive a notification from WA Home Therapies when your home treatment begins. We'll then apply the allowance to your next bill.

How it works for CAPS customers

Eligible CAPS customers can apply for Medical Assist online. Once we approve your application, we'll apply the allowance to your next bill.

Please make sure you read the eligibility criteria below before you apply.

Eligibility criteria for CAPS customers

To be eligible to receive Medical Assist, you need to be on the Department of Human Services (DHS) CAPS. Please check you are on the DHS CAP Scheme before you apply.

Please provide a copy of the CAPS statement of payment when you apply. This is so we can apply the allowance to your account as soon as we approve your application. We accept scans or photos of the original copy.

How do I know when I receive the allowance?

On your next bill, you'll see the credit amount referenced as ‘Medical assist allowance’.

What if I am renting?

If you don’t receive the bill, the property owner or managing agent will see the credit appear on the next bill.

If you pay for your water use, the property owner or managing agent may pass the credit on to you.

How to renew your Medical Assist allowance

If you already receive Medical Assist, you need to renew your application every 12 months. This is to ensure you continue to receive the allowance. We'll send you a letter when your Medical Assist is up for renewal.


If you need more help, please submit an online enquiry.

Frequently asked questions

The Continence Aids Payment Scheme (CAPS) is an Australian Government program. It assists eligible people who have permanent and severe incontinence. The scheme helps cover some of the costs of continence products.

Further information on CAPS and eligibility criteria is also available from the Australian Government website or the Continence Foundation of Australia.

Please visit the Medicare website or call Medicare on 132 011 and select Option 6 to obtain a CAPS application form. You will need to complete a CAPS application form, which includes a health report on your condition by an appropriate health professional, such as a medical practitioner or continence nurse advisor.

Call the National Continence Helpline on 1800 33 00 66. This is a free helpline managed by the Continence Foundation of Australia.

You can speak to a continence nurse advisor who can provide advice, free resources and contact details of local services. For more information about the Helpline visit the Continence Foundation of Australia website.

If you have a shared living arrangement where you don't receive a water use bill, you won't be eligible to apply for Medical Assist. Examples of a shared living arrangement includes:

  • nursing homes
  • assisted living
  • other residential aged care facilities