Navigate home logo

In this article

  • What you need to consider before your start landscaping your outdoor space
  • Find out when you need to submit a building application to us
  • Learn how to submit your application

Whether your garden just needs new plants or a complete redesign, there are some things you will need to consider before you start.

Incorporating a structure

When building a structure, you’ll need to engage us as well as your local council. Your local council will advise of any planning approval processes, while we will provide advice to ensure water, wastewater and drainage services on your property are safe and accessible.

If you’re thinking about installing a retaining wall, large shed, patio or gazebo, you will need to submit a minor plan application to us before starting construction. Structures requiring a minor plan application include:

  • Retaining wall greater than 1.2 metres high
  • Masonry structure (i.e. brick or stone) greater than 1.8 metres high
  • Shed greater than 42m2

Please note: You do not need approval for any demountable framed structure that has a total area of 42 square metres or less, such as a Colorbond shed with or without a concrete pad floor.

Ensure everyone's safety

To ensure everyone’s safety we need you to make a self-assessment and submit an application by following a few easy steps.

How to submit your application

Step 1 - Self-assessment

Before submitting your application, please complete a self-assessment:

  1. Obtain plans from Before You Dig Australia.
  2. Determine the location of the sewer main.
  3. Determine the material and depth of the sewer main.
  4. Refer to the Residential guidelines for designers document for the appropriate protection of sewer main information.
  5. Self-assess your design with our requirements.

In some cases you may need to relocate your internal plumbing or sewer lines. To carry this out contact a licensed plumber.

Step 2 - Submitting your application

You can use our online self-service system, BuilderNet. A minor plan application is $113.74. We will process your application and generate an invoice. Payment options will be provided on the back of the account.

Before you start please make sure you have an electronic copy of your pool or site plan, and any other documentation relevant to your application (in PDF, PNG or JPG format).

If you are not a regular BuilderNet user, you can use our guest account option to log in.

Selecting the right tree

When selecting new plants in your landscaping plans, make sure to choose trees and shrubs that won't damage your sewer pipes and underground services. Use our guide to help you with selecting the right trees or shrubs for your verge or garden.

Relocating your meter

If you need to relocate your meter as part of the landscaping work, find out how we can assist.