A fixed standpipe is a metered service providing access to bulk water supplies in regional Western Australia.

Fixed standpipes provide an essential source of water for people in communities who are remote from reticulated water schemes and may otherwise have limited or no water for household purposes, firefighting or to supplement water for stock.

Businesses remote from a reticulated water supply may rely on water carted from fixed standpipes to provide essential input to their business for production and for staff amenity.

Fixed standpipes can be either privately or local government owned and are an essential source of water for people and businesses in remote areas with limited access to reticulated water schemes.

To find out more read our "Using a fixed standpipe in regional Western Australia" brochure.

Access to public fixed standpipes

To access a public fixed standpipe please contact your local shire. A list of public fixed standpipes and their location can be found in our regional standpipe location list.

The shire is responsible for installing and maintaining the infrastructure and setting the prices for accessing public fixed standpipes.

It is the user’s responsibility to ask the shire for advice on how to safely access the fixed standpipe before operating it.

There are a variety of fixed standpipes available in regional Western Australia  outlined in the table below. 

Types of standpipes in Western Australia
Type of standpipes Description
Local authority standpipe

Use: For use by Shire only – locked and no public access available.
Meter: Can be any size service as long as it is for direct Shire use.
Charges: Non-residential Class 1 tariff applied to water use (100% discount on service charge).

Community use standpipe
(public standpipe)
Use: Owned by Local Government and available to assist local farmers, households not connected to schemes etc. Limited use by Shire for their own purposes. 
Meter: Only available for 20mm and 25mm standpipes that are publicly accessible. 
Charges: Farmlands tariff applies to water use (concessional community purpose rate). Service charges based on 20mm meter.
Commercial or private standpipe Use: For use by commercial customers; may include major road building, water carting for large projects and farming. 
May be private owned or made available by Local Government. 
Must be less than 49 kilolitres per day. For other options, contact  us on 13 13 95. 
Meter: Any meter above 25mm 
Charges: Town based charges apply to water use. Service charges vary depending on size of meter.
Mining customers Customers requiring bulk water for mining activities are not permitted to access fixed standpipes without a written agreement with Water Corporation.  This is to protect the town water supply 
Fire standpipe For firefighting only: Access by DFES and volunteer firefighting units. No public access and should be locked or controlled to limit access.

Installing a new fixed standpipe?

You can apply for a water meter to service a new fixed standpipe online through BuilderNet by selecting 'Lodge a water service application'. You will need to specify the purpose of the new standpipe, the water meter size and flow rate you require and the location you would like the water meter installed.

Once your application has been processed and the applicable fees paid, a new water meter will be installed to supply a fixed standpipe.

Please note, Water Corporation will install a water meter of a size and flow rate specified by you. It is your responsibility to install infrastructure such as the overhead filling framework, and card reader system if required. You will also be responsible for ongoing maintenance and payment of accounts for water used through the water meter connected to the standpipe.

Fixed fire standpipes 

Fixed fire standpipes in regional areas owned by local governments are intended for firefighting and training purposes only.

To prevent misuse of dedicated fire standpipes the following changes have been introduced:

  • From 1 July 2019 access to dedicated firefighting standpipes in regional Western Australia must be restricted for fire-fighting or training purposes only; public/commercial use must be prevented at all times.
  • The method of restriction should be determined by the standpipe owner in consultation with those authorised to use it and based on local conditions.
  • Arrangements should be put in place to ensure access is easily provided in the event of an emergency.
  • Fire standpipe owners should also clearly mark or have signage to indicate the standpipe is for firefighting and training use only.

Whilst we will do everything possible to maintain scheme water supplies during a bushfire it cannot be guaranteed and should not be relied upon as the primary source of water for firefighting purposes. The WA Local Government Association (WALGA) and Department of Fire and Emergency Services (DFES) have been consulted in the development of this change.

For more information please contact building.services@watercorporation.com.au.

Fees and charges

For more information on current fees and charges, please refer to our fixed regional standpipes fees and charges.

Please refer to our local government pricing FAQ for more information regarding changes to pricing from 1 July 2019.

Drought conditions

A 'Water Deficiency Declaration' is a government response to safeguard the commercial interests of farmers during very dry periods.

The process leading to a declaration of 'water deficiency' involves a local government making a formal request to the Department of Water which after consulting with the Department of Agriculture and Food makes a recommendation to the Minister for Water.

When a state government declared drought zone exists all large shire-owned standpipes will be made available at concessional rates to the community as drought relief in accordance with the terms of the declaration conditions. If conditions for commercial use relief are not specified then standard rates will apply.

It should be emphasised that water made available from standpipes/tanks linked to a piped water service is intended for short term emergency use only and not used as a regular source of water to provide for the ongoing needs of a farming business.

Unrestricted draw down from standpipes may compromise the rate of supply to landholders connected directly to the pipeline or town residents.  We aim to limit the daily flow from standpipes to 49kL and reserve the right to close standpipes should supply to the system be compromised.

Closure of standpipes

We may occasionally close standpipes for a variety of reasons.

Short term supply issues
When demand for water exceeds the town supply we may need to close fixed standpipes to maintain a reliable service of drinking water to its connected customers.

Occasionally we need to close standpipes if maintenance to the scheme is required. This can be due to leaks, planned maintenance or scheme upgrades etc.

Bush fires often damage critical water infrastructure and make fixed standpipes unavailable for use. While we will do everything possible to maintain scheme water supplies during a bushfire it cannot be guaranteed and should not be relied upon as the primary source of water for firefighting purposes.

Standpipes are generally provided in sections of the network where both residential and commercial connections to the scheme are established under a “Service by Agreement” as “Farmlands” services where prior notification of interruption or closure is not required and restoration of supply is not bound by the same regulated time constraints as those connected to the scheme.

We are working with local governments to ensure standpipes are always made available and if a closure is required adequate notification is provided. In some regions an SMS alert process is available but you will need to check with your own local government to confirm availability of this service. If it is available you can register for closure alerts through your local shire office. If standpipes are unavailable the public can approach the Department of Water and Environmental Regulation (DWER) to source alternative water sources.

Find out more about temporary closures of fixed standpipes.


A local government can put forward a claim to recover water usage charges based on the following:

  • claim water back from a commercial standpipe if used for firefighting or local government purposes
  • claim back water when Water Corporation has taken water from a local government for business purposes.

All successful claims will be paid in the form of a credit in the next billing cycle on the relevant account associated with the standpipe.

Please email all claim details as well as supporting excel spreadsheets or documents directly to wateruse@watercorporation.com.au

Your responsibilities

When using a public standpipe you have the following responsibilities:

  • treat carted potable water before drinking, showering, food preparation and other potable uses
  • seek treatment advice for carted potable water from the Department of Health
  • report any fault or damage to a public fixed standpipe to your local shire
  • seek advice on how to safely access the fixed standpipe before operating it
  • report any misuse of fire-fighting standpipes to the Water Corporation.

From time to time Water Corporation may advise a public fixed standpipe is not to be used for operational reasons. You must comply with this directive to ensure protection of the drinking water supply.