Moving home

There are lots of things to consider when moving home, but our process is simple. Here is what you need to do.


When you are moving, either into or out of a rental property, there's no need to contact us

Before moving in and out of the property

To ensure you're charged only for the water you use, you will need to confirm that a water meter reading has been arranged either by the property agent or the owner if it's a private rental.

While you are living in a property, you are usually responsible for paying water use charges. Check the arrangement with your landlord or agent.

Renting out a home you own

If you are moving out of your existing home and intend to rent it out, please let us know using our change my details form below.

Change my details

So that your new tenants don't pay for your water usage before you moved out of the property, you will need to have a special meter reading. If you have a managing agent, please check with them as they may have organised this on your behalf. If not, call 13 13 85 to arrange one.

Account details 

We can issue future water use accounts to the tenant/agent, however, as the property owner, you will still be held responsible for all charges. To set this up, use the change my details form above and select the option ‘I’m a property owner and want to send the water use bill to my tenant’.

New home owners

When you buy a new home, your settlement agent will let us know and arrange for a special meter reading to take place before you move in. If you are buying a property without the help of a settlement agent, see our Buying or selling section.

My Water tabletSetting up an online account

After you receive your first bill, you can register for My Water, our online self-service portal that helps you manage your bills and your water use.

Concession holders

Regardless of whether you are a tenant or an owner, when you move house you will need to re-register your concession card, so it reflects your current address. 

Call us on 1300 659 951 to arrange this, or you can apply online.

If you are renting a property owned by the Department of Housing, please speak to your Housing Services Officer regarding your water use concession.

Apply for a concession