Located on the Canning River approximately 33km from Perth, this dam combines scenic beauty with fascinating Western Australian history and is one of our most important reservoirs.
Please note: There are some instances when our dam recreation areas will be closed, particularly in summer when there may be a bushfire risk. Before planning a visit to one of our dams, phone us 24 hours on 13 13 75 or check our Facebook page for a post about dam closures.
- Capacity – 90.5 million kilolitres
- Catchment area – 730 square kilometres
- Reservoir length – 11 kilometres
What to do?
Enjoy a picnic lunch. We recommend the lower picnic area where the creek flows through; it is a stunning spot to eat your barbecue lunch. Be sure to take a photo!
Follow a walking trail that is specially designed to take you past historical features, such as the old contour channel and stilling chamber.
Prefer a leisurely stroll? Some walk trails are short, just for you. Feel more energetic? Try our longer trails. You can also take walks across the dam wall to enjoy lookouts.
This area has abundant native birdlife for you to search for. You might also catch a glimpse of a kangaroo in the early morning.
Canning Dam is open every day of the week until 6pm (closes at 5pm from May to September).
Please note, times may vary, please contact Perth Hills Armadale Visitor Centre on (08) 9394 5410 for more information.
- Picnic areas with free gas barbecues and drinking water
- Toilets (includes disabled)
- On-site parking
- From Perth, take Albany Highway towards Armadale
- Just beyond Kelmscott, turn left onto Brookton Highway and follow to Roleystone
- Turn right onto Croyden Road and follow the signs for approximately 9km
To contact our Canning Dam operations building please call 9495 8822.