Full of educational, historical and natural attractions, Mundaring Weir is both a vital source of water for Western Australia and a lovely place to visit.
Please note: There are also some instances when our dam recreation areas will be closed, particularly in summer when there may be a bushfire risk. Before planning a visit to one of our dams, phone us 24 hours on 13 13 75 or check our Facebook page for a post about dam closures.
- Capacity – 63.6 million kilolitres
- Catchment area – 1,470 square kilometres
- Length of wall – 308 metres
- Height of wall (above riverbed) – 42 metres
- Water from Mundaring Weir is supplied to the Goldfields and Agricultural region. We transfer desalinated seawater and groundwater into Mundaring Weir to supplement this water supply.
What to do?
Parkland at Mundaring Weir
Enjoy an outdoor lunch with the family at one of the many beautiful picnic spots. Free gas barbecues are provided.
Marked nature walks around the Weir allow you to stroll through the native bush without damaging it. If you prefer to relax, just sit back and watch the kids enjoy the playground facilities.
From July to November you can observe wildflower season and enjoy the striking array of native flowers.
Visit the No1 Pump Station to learn about the incredible early engineering feat of pumping water nearly 600km from Mundaring Weir to the Goldfields.
Suction tank at Mundaring Pump Station
General opening times
Mundaring Weir is open every day of the week until 6pm (closes at 5pm from May to September).
No1 Pump Station is open Saturday and Sunday from 12–4pm and public holidays (except Good Friday and Christmas Day).
Call the National Trust of Western Australia on (08) 9321 6088 for further information or to make group or school bookings.
Please note opening times may vary, please contact the Mundaring Visitor Centre for more information on (08) 9290 6645.
- Picnic areas with free gas barbecues and drinking water
- Toilets (includes disabled facilities)
- On-site parking
- From Perth, take Guildford Road or Great Eastern Highway to Midland
- Follow the Great Eastern Highway for approximately 16km towards Mundaring
- Turn right into Nichol Street and follow the signs
To contact our Mundaring Weir operations building please call (08) 9495 8822.