Both natural beauty and history can be appreciated at Serpentine Main Dam, which is situated amidst classic scenery in the Darling Scarp. It is the larger of the two dams located on the Serpentine River.
Please note: There are some instances when our dam recreation areas will be closed, particularly in summer when there may be a bushfire risk. Before planning a visit to one of our dams, phone us 24 hours on 13 13 75 or check our Facebook page for a post about dam closures.
Dam pathway at Serpentine Dam
- Capacity – 137.7 million kilolitres
- Catchment area – 664 square kilometres
- Reservoir length – 16 kilometres
- Height of wall (above lowest foundation) – 55 metres
What to do?
Picnic area at Serpentine Dam
Have a family lunch in the large picnic area with an adjoining playground. You are welcome to use the free gas barbecues located in the grassed lower picnic area downstream of the dam wall.
If you prefer a relaxed indoor setting, try the restaurant near the main car park for a casual meal.
Enjoy a nature walk on the marked trails and visit the scenic lookouts. If you like bird-watching, search for kookaburras, black cockatoos, parrots, magpies, and wrens.
Take a trip to the stunning Serpentine Falls for a picnic lunch with the waterfall as your backdrop. July to November is wildflower season, so visit during these months to see beautiful native flowers.
The dam is a part of Serpentine National Park, therefore entry fees apply.
Serpentine Dam is open daily but times are seasonal, please refer to the Parks and Wildlife WA website for more information or Perth Hills Armadale Visitor Centre on (08) 9394 5410.
- Picnic areas with free gas barbecues and drinking water fountains
- Toilets (includes disabled)
- On-site parking
Directions (to Serpentine Dam)
Serpentine Dam map - click image to expand
- From Perth, take the Kwinana Freeway, or Tonkin or Albany Highway to Armadale
- Follow the South Western Highway for 18km to Jarrahdale Road
- Turn left and continue for 5km
- Turn right onto Kingsbury Drive and continue to Serpentine Main Dam
Directions (to Serpentine Falls)
- Drive approximately another 7km past the turnoff to Jarrahdale along South Western Highway
- Follow the signs along Falls Road
To contact our Serpentine Dam operations building please call (08) 9495 8822.