This is the smaller of the two dams located on the scenic Serpentine River. Like Serpentine Main Dam, it is an important link back to Perth’s industry boom in the late 1950s and 1960s.
Please note: There are some instances when our dam recreation areas will be closed, particularly in summer when there may be a bushfire risk. Before planning a visit to one of our dams, phone us 24 hours on 13 13 75 or check our Facebook page for a post about dam closures.
- Capacity – 3.14 million kilolitres
- Catchment area – 28 square kilometres
- Reservoir length – 6 kilometres
- Height of wall (above lowest foundation) – 16 metres
What to do?
Enjoy the natural bush theme while you have lunch in the cleared gravel picnic area surrounded by shady native plants. There is a nearby playground for kids.
Walk down the steps to the recreation lake and enjoy hours of fun sailing model boats or watching the native birdlife.
Take a nature walk on the marked trails or a trip to the Serpentine Falls for a picnic lunch with the spectacular waterfall behind you. This is a great place for a family photo!
The dam is a part of Serpentine National Park, therefore entry fees apply.
Serpentine Pipehead Dam is open daily but times are seasonal, please refer to the Parks and Wildlife WA website for more information or call (08) 9525 2128.
- Picnic areas with free gas barbecues and drinking water fountains
- Recreation lake
- Toilets (includes disabled)
- On-site parking
- From Perth, take the Kwinana Freeway, or Tonkin or Albany Highway to Armadale
- Follow the South Western Highway for 18km to Jarrahdale Road
- Turn left and continue for 5km
- Turn right onto Kingsbury Drive and continue for 3km
- Turn right onto Day Road
For further information about the Serpentine Falls, please visit our Serpentine Main Dam page.
Protecting the dams for future generations
Enjoy visiting Serpentine Pipehead Dam and its surrounding water catchment area and please stay safe.
Some activities are not allowed. These include:
Please leave dogs and other pets at home.
Comply with all signs and keep to the designated recreation areas, pathways and roads. Additionally, always observe the 2km exclusion zone upstream of the dam wall - this helps protect the water source from contamination.
Please report all safety hazards, suspicious behaviour or pollution by calling 13 13 75.
Please do not:
- disturb the wildlife
- climb on the pipework or other operational infrastructure
- climb walls, fences or bridges
- deface safety and security signs
- trespass into signposted operational and no entry areas
- attempt to operate taps, valves or controls
- block emergency and operational access gates and roadways with vehicles.
To contact our Serpentine Pipehead Dam operations building please call (08) 9495 8822.