The largest of all dams supplying Perth, South Dandalup Dam is a popular destination all year for its tall trees, rich birdlife, and close proximity to the historic timber town of Dwellingup.
Please note: There are some instances when our dam recreation areas will be closed, particularly in summer when there may be a bushfire risk. Before planning a visit to one of our dams, phone us 24 hours on 13 13 75 or check our Facebook page for a post about dam closures. South Dandalup Dam picnic area is currently closed until early February 2018, whilst we complete essential works at the dam. The closest public facilities are at North Dandalup Dam. However this picnic area will be opened to the public, from 23 December 2017 to 1 January 2018 (inclusive), over the Christmas break.
- Capacity – 138.01 million kilolitres
- Catchment area – 311 square kilometres
- Reservoir length – 22 kilometres
- Height of wall (above lowest foundation) – 43 metres
What to do?
There is nothing like a country picnic amongst WA’s jarrah trees. Have lunch, use the free gas barbecues, and set up at a table in the picnic area located at the top of the dam wall.
Enjoy the spectacular view of the dam at the lookout.
For bird lovers, there is an abundance of native species to find, including robins, finches and blue wrens. You might also catch a glimpse of a kangaroo or wallaby.
Take gorgeous photos of the colourful flowers during wildflower season from July to November.
Why not visit Dwellingup while you’re here? Only 8km away, it offers charming craft shops and a Forest Heritage Centre for you to browse.
South Dandalup Dam is normally open every day of the week until 6pm (closes at 5pm from May to September), however please see note above.
- Picnic areas with free gas barbecues and picnic tables
- Toilets (includes disabled)
- On-site parking
- From Perth, take Kwinana Freeway, or Tonkin or Albany Highway to Armadale
- Follow South Western Highway to North Dandalup township
- Turn left at Del Park Road and follow for 18km
To contact our South Dandalup operations building please call 9495 8822.