Through this scheme, Waterwise Councils can receive funding to support waterwise greening initiatives.
Greening with waterwise plants and trees can help with:
- local water quality
- improving community health and well being
- increased biodiversity
- improving local amenity, and
- cooling local communities.
Information for Local Governments
Waterwise Councils can apply for up to $10,000 of dollar for dollar funding in total each year for the following initiatives:
- Waterwise verge subsidies for residents
- Waterwise street tree programs – e.g. Adopt a Waterwise Tree, free waterwise street trees, waterwise tree canopy programs
- Waterwise garden competitions – e.g. best Waterwise categories
- Waterwise plant sale subsidies for residents
- Waterwise garden and verge workshops
- Demonstration waterwise gardens, including median strips, roundabouts and reclaimed public open space gardens etc.
To be eligible councils must meet the following criteria:
Note that funding restrictions apply for some of the above criteria. If you wish to claim Waterwise Greening Scheme funding for waterwise initiatives that comply with the above, please send an expression of interest by filling out our form.
Expression of interest form
For questions about the scheme, please email WEpartnerships@watercorporation.com.au
Information for residents
We encourage you to contact your council directly to see if they have current greening initiatives available that you can participate in.
If you’re interested in creating your own waterwise verge, download our how to create a waterwise verge brochure. We also have a waterwise plant search function and a dedicated in the garden page that includes handy water saving tips and advice.
If you are interested in having a waterwise street tree installed on your verge, contact your local council for information on their free street tree program.