Retail food industry

Retail food outlets such as restaurants, cafes and lunch bars produce greasy wastewater from food preparation and cleaning activities.

The grease and fat contained in wastewater can accumulate both in your drains and our wastewater system, resulting in odorous and toxic gases, corrosion, blockages and wastewater overflows. Blockages and overflows impact the community and our ability to provide customers effective wastewater services.

Under the Water Services Act 2012, all businesses involved in the retail food industry must obtain written permission in the form of a trade waste permit before discharging any waste into our wastewater system.  

Apply online for a trade waste permit

During the trade waste application assessment process our trade waste officers assess if a grease arrestor is required based on the type of activities being undertaken. In general, retail food businesses that prepare and cook on site require a grease arrestor.

The table below show typical pre-treatment requirements for different types of retail food businesses.

Minimum pre-treatment required Examples of typical business
Installation of a Water Corporation accepted grease arrestor

Approved products page (passive grease arrestors)
Cafes and Restaurants
Lunch Bar and Deli
Takeaway shops
Fish and Chips
Kebab Shops
Butcher Shops
Bakeries (Pies, cream cakes etc)
Function Centres
Quick Service Restaurants
Catering Establishments
Food Manufacturing
School Canteens (Cooking)
In-sink and floor strainer units

Approved products page (pits and traps)
School Canteen (No cooking)
Fish Retail (Wet processing)
Bakery (Bread only, no pies or cakes)
Takeaway Pizza only (No other type of food)
Childcare Centres
Donut Shop

If your business type is not listed here, please contact us at

Sizing of grease arrestors for retail food industry

Your grease arrestor must meet Water Corporation current sizing requirements.

See sizing of grease arrestors for retail food industry

Grease arrestors reduce the amount of greasy waste flowing into the wastewater system, by allowing fats, oil and grease to rise to the top and solids to sink to the bottom.

They need to be pumped out according to the frequency shown on your trade waste permit by a licensed liquid waste contractor.

Maintenance and cleaning of grease arrestors

Grease arrestor typical drawing

Pump out frequencies will depend on the size of the grease arrestor and the nature and volume of wastewater produced by your business.

Pump out frequencies are determined when we assess your trade waste application. The frequency is set as a condition of your trade waste permit.

Your responsibilities are to:

  • have your grease arrestor pumped out at the frequency shown on your trade waste permit
  • use a licensed liquid waste contractor (LWC) 
  • report pump outs to us within 7 days 
  • maintain good housekeeping practices.

Managing greasy waste in the retail food industry

Your frequency can be re-assessed by request, subject to the following conditions: 

  • A grease arrestor frequency re-assessment charge will apply.
  • Re-assessments may also result in an increase to the pump out frequency.
  • The re-assessment process will involve a number of inspections to determine the point of grease arrestor failure.

Grease arrestor maintenance frequency re-assessment form

Correctly sized grease arrestors can be used to serve multiple businesses, such as in shopping centres or other multiple tenancy arrangements.

Who's responsible for it?

A property owner/agent is legally responsible under the Water Services Act 2012 for the operation and maintenance of the shared grease arrestor and must hold a trade waste permit for all shared grease arrestors on the property.

Permits for shared grease arrestors are subject to the standard trade waste fees and charges.

If a property owner/agent is not willing to take responsibility for shared grease arrestors, we will require individual grease arrestors for each business.

Trade waste charges

Shared grease arrestor application form

The requirement to install or upgrade a grease arrestor can be a condition of your trade waste permit.

Protecting our wastewater system and providing effective wastewater services to our customers and the community is important to us. We endeavour to work with our customers to meet the conditions of their trade waste permit.

Customers who do not meet these conditions will be subject to our retail food industry non-compliance process, which may result in additional charges.

Retail food industry non-compliance process

Our greasy waste compliance management program is referred to as FOGMan (fats, oils and grease management).

The FOGMan program manages our customers’ compliance with their pump out frequency and reporting requirements.

FOGMan liquid waste contractors

A liquid waste contractor licensed by the Department of Environment Regulation is the only person who can pump out a grease arrestor. A FOGMan liquid waste contractor is a licenced contractor who has additionally agreed to comply with our Code of Practice to pump out your grease arrestor and report on your behalf to the Water Corporation.

We recommend you use a FOGMan liquid waste contractor. 

You can use a contractor that isn't part of the FOGMan program. However, these contractors have not agreed to report pump outs to us. Therefore, it is your legal responsibility to ensure a copy of your pump out invoice is provided to us within 7 days to: 

Commercial and Industrial Services
Water Corporation
Locked Bag 2, Osborne Park Delivery Centre  WA  6916

Fax:08 6330 6691

Find a FOGMan liquid waste contractor

How to join the FOGMan program

Any licenced liquid waste contractor wishing to join our FOGMan program should contact us for more information.

From 1 July 2016, we will be changing our management of non-compliant customers in the retail food industry, with regard to the installation or upgrading of grease arrestors.

Retail food industry non-compliance process

More information

Email us at:


Call us on:

13 13 95