I would like the account for water use changed into my tenant's name. What do I need to do?

You can do this completing our change my details form or by calling us on 13 13 85.

We will issue water use accounts to your tenant as requested; however, you are liable for these charges. Property owners are responsible for all service and water use charges, as these are secured against the land by legislation.

We will send you reminder notices if your tenant’s bills are not paid, unless the amount is under $50.00. If the water use account remains unpaid, all recovery action will be taken against you as the property owner – even if the tenant has left the property.

For your own protection, we recommend that you take measures to ensure all water use accounts are settled at the end of the tenancy before releasing bond money to your tenant.