Fire services

Find out about how to apply for a fire service, how much they cost and the associated responsibilities and conditions that are involved.

Fire fighting requirements

Fire fighting requirements are outlined within the Building Code of Australia (Code) and Australian Standard 2419 - Fire hydrant installations - System design, installation and commissioning. The Code takes into account building type and a number of other factors to determine internal fire hydrants and sprinkler requirements to ensure adequate fire protection.

Individual local governments are also responsible for ensuring that the appropriate fire protection design requirements are included in buildings. 

 How to apply for a fire service

  • Submit your request using BuilderNet. If you are not a regular BuilderNet user, please use our Guest Account option to log in.
  • We will email an invoice to you, detailing the associated fees.

Submit your application now

How much will it cost?

To check fire service connection sizes and the associated costs, please see our Fees & charges section.

You can refer to our information about Meter Boxes should your fire service require additional protection.

Your responsibility

Ongoing maintenance and repairs of the service is the responsibility of the property owner/s from the property scheme up to the isolation valve.

The scheme isolation valve often sits outside of your property boundary so please ensure you are aware of its location.

The diagram below compares the customer's responsibility for a fire service versus a standard water service. (In some cases, the water main and isolation valve will be on the same side of the road that the property is on).

Diagram showing fire service responsibillity


When applying for a fire service, the property owner/s need to accept our fire service conditions:

  • Fire services must only be used for the Approved Purpose and owners must notify us when there is a change in use of the service.
  • To be responsible for undertaking regular checks and testing on their fire fighting systems ensuring that they function in accordance with their needs. 
  • Our water supply's scheme and pressure and flow is subject to variation and cannot be guaranteed.
  • To notify and make any necessary arrangements with us in advance of any proposed testing on their fire fighting systems.
  • To pay the prescribed Water Supply Service (Fire) fees and statutory charges in accordance with the Water Services (Water Corporation Charges) Regulations 2014 (as may be amended and replaced from time to time).
  • Where a meter is fitted, there shall be no connections, fittings or piping installed to bypass the meter.
  • The Property Connection Point (Scheme Isolation Valve) can only be opened or shut either directly by a Corporation Officer or Corporation Approved Plumber, on behalf of the Owner. The Property Isolation Valve can be opened or closed at the discretion of the Owner for the maintenance, testing and repairing of internal private plumbing for the property.
  • To advise us of any maintenance or repair work required.
  • To comply with Clauses 42 and 43 of the Water Services Regulations 2013 regarding the installation, testing and maintenance of backflow prevention devices.
  • At our discretion, Water Corporation may disconnect the service or impose additional charges for the provision of the service if the Owner fails to comply with the Owner's obligations set out in the Agreement.

More information

You can contact us at:

Post: Building Services, PO Box 100 Leederville WA 6902


Phone: 13 13 95

You may also be interested in

Water and sewer service connection fees

Find out more
splashing water