What to do if you receive a visit, phone call or email from somebody claiming to be from Water Corporation, and you have suspicions about the reason for their contact.
If you receive a visit, phone call or email from somebody claiming to be from Water Corporation, and you have suspicions about the reason for their contact, please check the following:
- If they are on your property ask to see an identification card – our employees will always carry one.
- If they have called or emailed you, ask them for their name and feel free to call us on 13 13 75 to confirm they are one of our employees. Our employees are happy to wait while you confirm their identity.
- Water Corporation does not need to enter your house to check your water quality – this can be done from any tap on your property.
- Keep your screen door locked and keep door chains in place.
- Be cautious and always ask for identification. Check the ID carefully – the picture or quality could be poor.
- Make a note of the representative's details.
- Check for the Water Corporation logo on clothing or on an attending vehicle.
Please note some of our contractors may not have any Water Corporation identification cards or branded uniforms. If you have any doubts about the caller, please call 13 13 75.
What a bogus caller may do
- Work in pairs (although only one may identify themselves to you).
- Not be happy to handover identification badge for closer examination.
- Not have an official uniform, or have an official vehicle.
- Try and make you feel under pressure.
If you are still unsure don't open the door. You must feel absolutely comfortable with anyone you allow into your home.
If you feel in any immediate danger please call 000. If you would like to report suspicious activity to the police, please call the Police Assistance Centre on 131 444 (24 hours).
Water quality scams
We sometimes receive calls from concerned customers who have been contacted by a company trying to sell them a product which they claim will give them 'safer' water.
We take all reports of this nature very seriously, as the supply of safe drinking water to you is our highest priority. Rest assured, your drinking water meets all the health requirements of the Australian Drinking Water Guidelines and Department of Health.
If you have any concerns about the quality of your drinking water supply, please call us on 13 13 75.
See facts about our drinking water quality monitoring program.