Find out what to do if you need to open or close a water account.

Home owners

You do not need to do anything.

We open or close your water account when you settle a sale. Your settlement agent will contact us directly.


Your landlord or property manager will set up or close your account for you.

To ensure that you are charged only for the water you have used please contact us to confirm that a water meter reading has been arranged either by your property manager or the owner if you have a private rental.